BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES
When I don’t have a lot of time, I grab Mrs. Wages Quick Process Pickle Mix with all Natural Ingredients and make about 21 Pints or 7 Quarts of Bread and Butter Pickles. I start out with sanitizing everything (work area, cutting board, countertops). I get from my cucumbers from my garden and:
- DO NOT USE ALUMINUM.
- Fill a Canner (Big Pot with a Jar Lifter to Set Cans on inside Pot).
- Place Canner 3/4 Full of Water so it will cover Pint or Quart Canning Jars by 1 Inch of Water. Bring to a Boil on Medium Heat.
- Wash Pint or Quart Canning Jars in Hot Soapy Water. Rinse Jars and Lids before Placing into Hot Water in Canner to Sterilize Jars and Lids. Leave Jars and Lids 5 Minutes in Boiling Water in Canner. Remove Sanitized Jars and Lids From Canner and Place on Clean Kitchen Towel.
- Wash and Slice About 50 3-6 Inch Cucumbers into 1/4 inch Slices and Place Slices in a Plastic Bowl While Jars and Lids are Sanitizing.
- You Can Buy Tools Boxed Together at Retail Stores Where Canning Equipment is Sold Such as: a Funnel, Jar Lifter, Magnetic Lid Lifter, Bubble Remover and etc., to make Canning Much Faster and Easier.
- Mix 6 & 3/4 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar (5% Acidity) With 7 Cups of Sugar and 1 Pouch of Mrs. Wages Quick Process Pickle Mix.
- I Put Pickle Mix, Sugar, and Vinegar Into a Large, non-reactive, Stainless Steel, Sauce Pot. I Bring Liquid to a Rolling Boil, Stirring Constantly Until Dissolved.
- Remove Liquid From Heat.
- Pack Jars With Sliced Cucumbers Leaving 1/2 inch of Head Space. I use The Funnel and it Automatically leaves 1/2 Inch of Head Space if I Fill to Bottom of Funnel.
- I Pour Hot Vinegar Mixture into Funnel and Cucumber Packed Jars to Within 1/2 inch of Top of Jar. Remove Air Bubbles With Air Bubble Remover Tool. Wipe Jar Rim Before Capping
- Place Sterilized Jar Lids Onto Cucumber Packed, Hot Liquid-Filled Jars as Jars are Filled. Finger Tighten Lids Onto Jars With Tips of Fingers.
- Using a Jar Lifter, Place Cucumber, Hot Liquid-Filled, Finger-Tightened Jars, Into Canner with Boiling Water Making Sure To Have 1 inch Water Coverage Over Jar.
- Boil Jars 10 Minutes for Pints and 15 Minutes For Quarts. Turn Off Heat and Let Jars Sit For 5 Minutes in Canner.
- Remove Jars From Canner. Let Sit at Room Temperature for 12 to 24 Hours. Test Jars For Air Tight Seals According to Manufacturers Directions.
- If Jars Do Not Completely Seal, Refrigerate and Consume Within One Week.
- Bread and Butter Pickles are Ready to Eat After 24 Hours.
Use Within One Year and Store In a Cool Area. My Husband Suggested Using The Box The Jars Came In To Keep Them Compact. They Could Be Taken To A Vehicle Conveniently or Stacked In a Closet or Pantry.
“Happy Bread and Butter Pickle Canning”